Bethel Public Library
189 Greenwood Avenue, Bethel, CT 06801
203-794-8756 Fax 203-794-8761
BETHEL PUBLIC LIBRARY
E-BOOK READER BORROWER POLICY
It is part of the Bethel Public Library’s mission to provide materials in both printed and electronic format that Bethel residents of all ages can turn to for discovery of ideas and the joy of reading. To help provide equal access to electronic books (e-books), the Library has e-book readers that may be borrowed for use with the Library’s collection of e-books.
SECTION 1: BORROWER CRITERIA:
1. To borrow an e-book reader from the Bethel Public Library, the patron must be a Bethel resident, staff member or Friend of the Library with a current Bethel Public Library card, and the patron must be 18 years of age or older.
2. A patron who borrows an e-book reader is required to complete a Borrower’s Agreement and provide credit card information. The patron will receive a copy of this agreement.
3. First time borrowers will receive training from Library staff prior to borrowing an e-book reader.
SECTION 2: CONTENT:
1. The Bethel Public Library subscribes to the Bibliomation OverDrive e-Media Catalog service from which patrons may select e-books to borrow for a specified period of time.
2. Patrons may choose to borrow any of the books in the Bibliomation OverDrive e-Media Catalog; however, titles marked as “Advantage” titles may be for exclusive use by Bethel patrons only. These titles may be more readily available for borrowing. See instructional materials for information on Advantage titles. Patrons may click on Advantage titles to determine if they are owned by Bethel Library.
3. The OverDrive e-Media Catalog may be accessed from the Library’s website, www.bethellibrary.org. From the left column, select the link to “download audiobooks and e-Books”.
4. The Bethel Library has a small collection of e-books loaded on each e-book reader from which patrons may choose.
5. Patrons may not download titles onto the Library’s e-book reader from any other source other than those selected for borrowing from the Bibliomation OverDrive e-Media Catalog. Any titles downloaded or purchased from other sites will be charged to the patron’s credit card.
SECTION 3: CHECK OUT PROCEDURE:
1. E-book readers are loaned on a first-come, first-served basis. E-book readers may not be reserved in advance, but will be held for a patron until the close of business the same day a patron calls, if the e-book reader is in the Library when the patron calls.
2. E-book readers may be checked out for 14 days with no renewals, with a waiting period of seven days before the same patron may borrow the e-book reader again.
3. A Bethel or out-of town-resident may use an e-book reader in the Library for one hour per day, if one is available. The patron must leave a valid form of I.D. at the Adult Reference Desk until the e-book reader is returned.
4. E-book readers must be checked out from the Adult Reference Desk.
5. Bethel Library Reference staff will download one e-book of the patron’s choice from the OverDrive e-Media Catalog.
SECTION 4: RETURN PROCEDURE:
1. E-book readers must be given to a staff member at the Adult Reference Desk. They may not be left at this desk if the desk is unattended, and may not be left at any other desk. If the Adult Reference Desk is unattended, patrons should find a staff member to assist them.
2. E-book readers may not be returned in the book drop.
3. E-book readers must be returned to the Bethel Public Library only, and may not be returned to any other library.
SECTION 5: OVERDUE FINES AND/OR FEES:
1. Overdue fines are $2.00 a day up to a maximum of $234.00, and start from 1 day over due. The borrowing patron’s card will be blocked from the first day the e-book reader is overdue.
2. The patron will be charged replacement fees for any items not returned in the e-book reader kit, or for items returned damaged. Fees in excess of $25.00 will be charged against the patron’s credit card.
3. E-book readers returned in the book drop or to another library will be subject to an additional fee of $25.00.
4. Patrons may not download titles onto the Library’s e-book reader from any other source other than those selected for borrowing from the Bibliomation OverDrive e-Media Catalog Any titles downloaded or purchased from other sites will be charged to the patron’s credit card.
This policy is effective upon approval of the Library Board of Directors. Amendments and/or revisions to this policy shall be formulated and recommended to the Board by the Policy Committee. The policy may then be amended and/or revised at the regular meeting of the Board, following the meeting at which the amendment and/or revision was proposed.
Approved by the Library Board April 25, 2011