The days are still hot, but the nights are hinting at the cool weather just around the corner… Almost time to trade in the summer beach reads! Never fear: the Bethel Public Library has a wide selection of titles for you to curl up with when temperatures turn cooler.
And this upcoming month, we’re promoting the coolest card: the library card! That’s right, September is National Library Card Sign-Up Month – and even Snoopy is on board. Stop by anytime during the month of September to take a tour, see what your Library has to offer, and sign up for a library card. Come see why a library card is the most important school supply (or cool supply) you can have!
For Kids Grades K-5…
Thanks to the Friends of the Bethel Public Library, a free gift will be given to every child who signs up for his or her first library card. The bag contains a new children’s book, certain to bring smiles as your child receives their first library card at the Bethel Public Library.
PLUS! Already have a card? We invite all children K-5 to come in and guess how many books are in the Michele Arnhold Children’s Library, to WIN a FREE tote bag – there will be 25 winners!
For Students Grades 6-12…
Come in and guess how many candies are in the jar on the Teen Services Desk, and you could win the jar (with all the candy, of course). Win other prizes, too!
Free replacement cards for anyone who has lost or damaged your card; or a free upgrade from a child’s card to an adult card. Must be 14 years old or older to receive an adult card. Kids under 14 whose handwriting has changed since their first library card are eligible for a free replacement card to write a new signature.
Receive a FREE Library Card Sign-Up Month button, to show off to the world how cool you are.
Amnesty for fines – for each nonperishable food item, toiletry, or back-to-school supply donated, we’ll erase $2 in overdue fines! Items will be given to Social Services for distribution.
We are especially looking to collect:
- Personal Care Items
- Soap, shampoo/conditioner
- Feminine hygiene products
- Household/Cleaning Products
- Toilet paper
- Dish soap
- Laundry detergent
- Cleaning sprays
- Sponges, mops, brooms, paper towels, etc.
- Food Items
- Healthy snacks for kids
- Peanut butter
- Olive oil and cooking oils (e.g. canola, vegetable, etc.)
- Brown rice
- Low-sodium broth
- SALT-FREE canned goods (e.g. beans, vegetables, tomatoes, etc.)
- Canned WHITE tuna
- Tomato sauce
- Spices (e.g. salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.)
- Granola bars and protein bars
- Instant coffee
- Tea bags (regular and herbal)
- Low-sugar cereals
- And school supplies!
I Have My Library Card – Now What…?
With your super-cool library card, you have access not only to the 100,000+ books, movies, music CDs, and audiobooks on our shelves, but also to a variety of digital media and online services! For example:
- Listen to audiobooks or music, read graphic novels, and watch movies through Hoopla
- Read e-books and listen to more audiobooks, through Overdrive
- Learn to fix your car through Automobile Repair Reference Center
- Study for exams, such as the SAT, citizenship test, the ASVAB, PRAXIS, and MCAT at Learning Express
- Discover the joy of learning to speak a new language at Mango Languages
With resources like these, and many others, having a single library card in your wallet unlocks a wide world of opportunity and wonder!
Ready to sign up for that library card right now? No need to wait – click here to begin the process online right away!