Bethel Public Library
189 Greenwood Avenue, Bethel, CT 06801
203-794-8756 Fax 203-794-8761
BETHEL PUBLIC LIBRARY
MEDIA RELATIONS POLICY
The Bethel Public Library has determined that members of the media should have access to the Library, subject to a published written policy which will be applied without discrimination and in the best interests of all Library users.
SECTION 1: COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE MEDIA
1. Only staff members designated by the Library Director are authorized to prepare press releases and other materials for the media. Staff members listed as contacts on press releases are responsible for answering inquiries received from the media regarding a release.
2. Only staff members who are in charge of Library programs or events are authorized to answer questions from the media related to those programs or events. All other inquiries from the media about Library policies, practices, procedures or issues should be referred to the Library Director or his/her designee.
SECTION 2: MEDIA ACCESS TO THE LIBRARY
1. Representatives of the press or other media are welcome within the public areas of the Library and are welcome to attend in a working capacity events, programs or meetings within the Library that are open to the public.
2. Representatives of the press or other media are expected to abide by the Library’s Patron Behavior Policy and other Library policies when working in the Library.
3. Photographing, filming, and audio recording of Library patrons, Library staff, and Library interior is prohibited without prior approval from the Library Director or his/her designee.
4. Representatives of the press or other media may not create visual or audio records of events or programs conducted or sponsored by the Library without permission in advance from the Library Director or his/her designee.
5. When an outside group utilizes a Library meeting room for an event or meeting that is designated as open to the public, representatives of the press or other media who attend the event or meeting have the right to create visual or audio records of such event or meeting to the same extent as if it were held in a public space or forum outside the Library. The press or other media representative should give the organizer of the meeting notice that he/she is attending the event or meeting and expects to create a visual or audio record of the event or meeting.
SECTION 3: POLICY EFFECTIVE DATE, AMENDMENTS, AND
This policy is
effective upon approval of the Library Board of Directors. Amendments and/or
revisions to this policy shall be formulated and recommended to the Board by
the Policy Committee. The policy may then be amended and/or revised at the
regular meeting of the Board, following the meeting at which the amendment
and/or revision was proposed.
Approved by the Library Board of Directors October 24, 2016