Have your Bethel Library card handy when entering these sites. You will need to enter the numbers from the barcode on the back of your card.
Britannica Library: Children – Discover facts about animals, biographies, places, language arts, plants, social studies, world religions, fine arts, science and math, sports and hobbies, and much more. Read any article at one of two different reading levels, or listen to optional audio recordings.
Explora Elementary – For kids in kindergarten through 5th Grade, to help them find information about: Animals, Arts and Music, Biographies, Geography, Language Arts, Math, Science and Health and Social Studies. Enter any words in the search line and you will find books, journals, and more.
Great Websites for Kids – Sponsored by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, this page compiles exemplary websites geared to children from birth to age 14. Suggested sites are evaluated by the Great Websites for Kids Committee using established selection criteria. Sites are added to the database three times a year, and the committee reviews all sites in the database twice a year to guarantee sites are still relevant, appropriate and accessible.
National Geographic Kids – Explore many subjects such as: animals, the environment, history, peoples and cultures, places, science and tech, and more. For each subject, view videos and pictures, plus read National Geographic Kids magazine articles and National Geographic books, or listen to optional audio recordings.
Resources for Elementary Schools – A variety of resources for kids, available through ResearchIT CT.
Pre-K & Kindergarten
Arthur – The official site for Arthur and his friends featured in the popular books by Marc Brown.
Barney and Friends – Play games, watch video clips, print coloring pages and get craft ideas.
Children’s Storybooks On-line – Original stories with animated illustrations and simple descriptions young children will understand. Story titles include The Farm Animals and Buzzy Bee.
Crayola Coloring – Play games, get craft ideas, send or print and color cards, learn color facts and do color experiments, get coloring and activity pages.
The World of Curious George – Have fun with everybody’s favorite curious monkey! The site features an on-line mini adventure for kids to follow.
Disney Junior – The official web site for all Disney activities. The Kids page features activities for kids to do such as coloring pages, games, etc. using various Disney Characters such as Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse, etc. Elementary age children will also enjoy the activities found here.
Jan Brett’s Activity Pages – Hosted by author Jan Brett for children ages 4 – 8. Visit the Projects section for color-and-cut Hedgie and learn to make a sailor’s bracelet.
Lego Games – For the Lego lover. Play games and activities.
Mother Goose Rebus Rhymes – A site designed for children who are learning to read. Kids will enjoy picking out the words they can read in their favorite nursery rhymes.
PBS Kids – The starting place to find your favorite PBS shows on line, such as Mister Roger’s Neighborhood, Sesame Street, Curious George, and much, much more!
123 Sesame Street – Contains games, online videos and activities for preschoolers. Every weekday there’s a new “playlist” for kids and parents to explore together.
Sesame Street Central – This site features the popular Sesame Street characters in simple online storybooks that are fun to read. It also contains lots of web pages especially designed to print out and color.
Seussville – The Seuss characters welcome kids to Seussville, Dr. Seuss’s playground in Cyberspace. You can play games, chat with The Cat in the Hat, and do much, much more!
Thomas the Tank Engine – Play games, print coloring pages, send ecards.
Treehouse TV – For the 6 and under child; has games and activities, coloring pages, etc.
World Village’s Idea Box – This site is updated weekly and features both a site and idea of the week, along with news of interest to parents, teachers, and librarians. You can also find links to lots of printable learning, activity and coloring pages, as well as projects, games, and crafts.
- ZoomDinosaurs.com – An on-line book all about Dinosaurs that progresses from a basic level for young children to a more advanced level for the older student.
- American Girl – This is the official site for the popular book series. It includes activities for each favorite American Girl and also information on joining the club.
- Berenstain Bears Activities for Learning and Fun – Includes coloring pages, print-and-cut dress-up bears with loads of clothes, interactive stories and quizzes.
- Goosebumps – Goosebumps comes to life here on this site.
- Jan Brett’s Activity Pages – Hosted by author Jan Brett for children ages 4 – 8. Visit the Projects section for color-and-cut Hedgie and learn to make a sailor’s bracelet.
- Magic School Bus – Join wacky science teacher Ms. Frizzle, her students and playful sidekick, Liz, the lizard on educational field trips in her Magic School bus.
- Crayola Coloring – Play games, get craft ideas, send or print and color cards, learn color facts and do color experiments, get coloring and activity pages.
- Cyberkids – Play games and read electronic magazines. Publish your writing and put your artwork on the web.
- FBI Kid’s Page – Children from Kindergarten through 5th grade can learn about the FBI, get safety tips, learn about all the different kinds of working dogs they have, as well as play fun games.
- FunBrain.com – Features interactive games such as Word Detective to make your own word search, Oddball, and Math Baseball.
- IKnowThat.com – A fun learning website for kids from preschool to 6th grade. Have games and activities per grade level per subject with teacher’s guides too.
- Kids After School Clubhouse – Use the “Brain Teasers” area for research or fun; the “Fun Stuff” has sections like the hilarious “Wacky Web Tales.”
- Lego Games – For the Lego lover. Play games and activities.
- Official Beanie Babies Web Site – Find The List, with pictures and birthdays for your favorite current and retired babies. Be sure to check out “Fun and Games”.
Science Websites for Kids
- Cells: Plants, Animals, Bacteria – Information on cells, plants, animals, and bacteria.
- Discovery Kids – Learn about animals, dinosaurs, outer space, and more!
- Discovery Kids: Science – Learn all about science!
- Exploratorium: Museum of Science, Art and Human Perception – Provides access to, and information about, science, nature, art, and technology.
- How Stuff Works.Com – A place to learn how things work in the world around you.
- Jason Project – Founded by Dr. Robert Ballard after his discovery of the Titanic. Participate in global explorations using interactive telecommunications.
- Kids.gov – Science projects for kids K-5.
- Kid’s Astronomy – Explains all about our solar system clearly and colorfully
- The Nine Planets for Kids – Has information on the nine planets in a kid friendly way
- “Ology” – Is a creative science site run by the American Museum of Natural History with lots of information, activities and games.
- Space Place NASA – For elementary school age kids showing them that science and technology and learning about space are fun and understandable. Has games, facts and projects and much more.
- Scholastic Weather Watch – Teaches children to explore the weather around them through visual observation. They can then gather data, investigage and analyze weather conditions.
- Tree House Weather Kids – Provides basic information on weather topics such as winds, moisture, air pressure, seasons, and storms.
- Worm World – For all kinds of information about worms.
- ESPN-Sportszone – Highlights special sports events, chats with stars and more.
- Sports Illustrated for Kids – Covers all kinds of sports from around the world, including reports from NFL mini-camps and stories about sports stars, male and female.
- Bill Nye the Science Guy – Find experiments, puzzles, and quizzes; Science demo of the day, complete with instructions.
- Nickelodeon – The #1 site on the “Top Ten.” Click on Nick at Night, TV Land and Nick Jr. as well as games such as What’s Cookin’, Nickelodeon Basketball Stars, and much more.
- PBS Kids – The home of all your favorite shows like Arthur, Curious George and WordWorld.
GreatKidsCT – A web site for parents devoted to information on parenting, education, and health and safety. Resources available on this site are related to children from birth to eight.